|Table of Contents|
Eleventh Child of James and Melinda Clayborn
20 September 1862 - c. 1905
Malinda Clayborn was born on 20 September 1862 to James and Melinda Clayborn in DeKalb County, Tennessee. She married James W. McAffrey (1854-1913) on 20 June 1878 in DeKalb County. The family name was sometimes spelled McCaffrey. Malinda died in about 1905 in Putnam County, Tennessee. Sadly, James was murdered in February 1913 with a large gash in the back of his head by an unknown person and then dumped in the water. No motive for his murder could be determined.
- Sarah McAffrey was born in 1879 in DeKalb County, Tennessee. In the 1900 census, Melinda is listed with six living children and reported that she gave birth to eight. Sarah died before 1900.
- Lusinda McAffrey was born on 18 March 1881 in DeKalb County, Tennessee. She married as the second wife of James Douglas Noah (1873-1937) on 4 October 1908 in Putnam County, Tennessee. Lusinda died on 5 January 1955 in Greene County, Tennessee.
- James Everette Noah was born on 10 July 1910 in Putnam County, Tennessee. He married Texie Crumley (1917-1986) on 12 July 1935 in Greene County, Tennessee. James died in June 1975 in Greene County.
- Lucille Noah was born in about 1916 in Tennessee.
- Bertha May Noah was born in 1919 in Greene County, Tennessee. She married John B. Brigman Jr. (1917-1973) on 5 April 1941 in Greene County, Tennessee. Bertha died on 6 October 1971 in Cincinnati, Ohio.
- Lillian Noah was born in about 1922 in Greene County, Tennessee.
- William Jordan McAffrey was born on 3 August 1885 in Tennessee. He married Pearl Howard (1883-1971) on 29 November 1910 in Kenton County, Kentucky. William died on 27 November 1929 in Owen County, Kentucky, of tuberculosis.
- Lillian McAffrey was born on 8 August 1911 in Owen County, Kentucky. She married Victor Obanion (1908-1984) on 22 February 1930 in Owen County. Together they had three children: (i) Jerry G. Obanion (born in 1930), (ii) Douglas Wayne Obanion (born in 1933), and (iii) Shirley A. Obanion (born in 1935). Lillian died on 8 January 1979 in Cincinnati, Ohio.
- John Lindsey McCaffrey was born on 25 December 1885 in Tennessee. He married Elizabeth Richmond (1888-1966) on 24 August 1909 in Kenton County, Kentucky. John died on 29 December 1918 in Cincinnati, Ohio, of tuberculosis.
- Mildred McCaffrey was born in about 1910 in Ohio.
- John Joseph McCaffrey was born on 24 September 1917 in Hamilton County, Ohio. He married Regina "Jeanne" Koehne (1916-2000) in about 1939. John served as technician fourth grade in the U.S. Army during World War II from May 1945 to December 1945. John died on 4 August 1996 in Sebring, Highlands County, Florida. He and his wife are buried in Arlington National Cemetery.
- Martha Jane McCaffrey was born on 11 October 1942 in Ohio and married Mr. Crawley. Martha died on 24 August 2000 in Richmond, Virginia.
- Janet Mary McCaffrey was born on 27 November 1944 in Ohio and married Christopher Merle Stokes (1941-2007). Janet died on 14 May 2001 in Virginia.
- Donald John McCaffrey
- Nancy McAffrey ("Nannie") was born on 7 April 1889 in Tennessee and died on 24 November 1918 in Cincinnati, Ohio. It is likely that she died from tuberculosis.
- James Laffette McAffrey was born on 12 September 1892 in Tennessee. He married Zola N. Emmert (1896-1933) on 15 May 1915 in Knox County, Tennessee. Trageically, he shot his wife to death in their home on the afternoon of 19 August 1933 per her death certificate. James died on 17 January 1960 in Tennessee.
- Shirley Ann McAffrey was born on 14 October 1917 in Knox County, Tennessee. She married Arthur Louie Sykes (1907-1956) in the mid-1930s, probably in Knox County. Shirley died on 13 March 1941 in Knox County. Per her death certificate, tuberculosis was a cause.
- Jack Lennis McAffrey was born on 28 June 1918 in Knoxville, Tennessee. He married Mary Bells Capps (1918-1998) on 10 November 1945 in Walker County, Georgia. Jack died on 15 August 2003 in Livonia, Michigan.
- James L. McAffrey was born on 10 October 1956 in Detroit, Michigan, and died on 6 May 2004 in Portland, Michigan.
- Joyce M. McAffrey was born in about 1920 in Knoxville, Tennessee. Joyce died on 27 June 1934 in Knoxville committing suicide by jumping into the river and drowning.
- James Laffette McAffrey Jr. was born on 7 September 1921 in Knoxville, Tennessee. He married Betty Ann Waldrop (1928-1968) on 5 April 1946 in Knox County, Tennessee. He served as Chief Warrant Officer 4s in the U.S. Air Force in World War II, Korea, and Vietnam starting in June 1941. James died on 28 December 1999 in Cheyenne Wells, Colorado.
- Paul Craig McAffrey was born on 18 October 1948 in Tucson, Arizona, and died in June 1991 in Wasilla, Arkansas.
- Willie Irene McAffrey was born on 10 January 1899 in Putnam County, Tennessee. She married Senter Haney (1892-1919) on 14 November 1915 in Greene County, Tennessee. He enlisted on 28 February 1910 as a private in the U.S. Coast Artillery and was discharged on 27 February 1913. In World War I he was corporal in Company F of the 117th Tennessee Infantry, 30th Division. Willie died of disease while on active duty on 11 June 1971 in Nutley, New Jersey. They are buried together in Andrew Johnson National Cemetery in Greene County.
- Charles Elmer Haney was born on 5 September 1916 in Oklahoma. Charles died on 19 January 1944 in Craven County, North Carolina, from injuries suffered in a military plane crash as a U.S. Marine Corps member.
- Louise R Haney was born in 1918 in Greene County, Tennessee, and worked as a clerk as of 1946.
- Emma McAffrey was born on 7 August 1904 in Putnam County, Tennessee. She married Earl H. Fann (1902-1983) on 6 August
1924 in Greene County, Tennessee. Emma died on 14 January 2001 in Jacksonville, Florida.
- Mary Frances Fann was born in about 1926 in Hamblen County, Tennessee.
- Betty Lee Fann was born in about 1928 in Hamblen County, Tennessee.
References and Notes